Regular readers will know I favour a policy known as the job guarantee. This is where the government pays the wages of anyone willing and able to work, but unable to find it. This appeals to me because I believe the following things are true:
- In our society, working (either for yourself or an employer) is seen as the norm; part of being a good member of society;
- Doing a job of work that people think is worthwhile brings a lot of benefits in terms of mental and physical health;
- People consciously or unconsciously understand this and most people want to work;
- People shouldn’t have to work for wages below a level which allows them a reasonable standard of living;
- Without active government involvement, there will never be enough jobs for all or enough jobs paying a socially acceptable wage.
So I am fully signed up to the idea…
View original post 628 more words